Thursday, November 15, 2012

TURBO SV650

For kit information and our other Turbo application services please visit this link. The bike is currently being taken apart and a will be utilizing a same model bike with lower miles. I will be adding the ARP bolts and adding the stator where I cut down material to reduce over 2lbs of weight. This helps take some of the rotational mass off the end of the crank which is sometimes an issue when adding more power to these bikes. Again, with this one shown on the left, I left it in absolute stock configuration pushing often 8psig to have had no problems what so ever to over 12,000 miles.
Update 10-25-2013: Well the Turbo SV is no more for awhile. I plowed it into a 21year old girl who crossed four lanes of traffic to make an illegal left turn. Total front end damage, the front wheel broke in three places and jammed what was left of the wheel up into the front cylinder. I have four fractures in my pelvis with some shoulder damage and broken finger was all. It could have been way worse particularly if I didn't have a helmet on. It saved my face for sure and possibly my life my head went through the girls driver door glass. I had adhesion's on my face but worse sever bruising in the crotch from hitting the tank. The almost worse were the man parts got hurt to say the least. However, hoping to buy another of the same year and re-install the system on that one. I had some other goodies to add on anyway with one more fail safe I wanted to apply.
Update 7-27-2013:  So I now have over 11k miles on the build and it has been working very well. Not much to say on that other than I finished two more videos that I have posted below.
Yea, a little crazy I know. Especially if you know SV650's.  No one in America, that I can find, has built one. A handful of SV1000's and a few TLS's but no 650,s. Mainly the reason, "why not" is due to the Crank being a bit weak with more pressure.UPDATE 2-7-13:  I've put about 200 miles on it and have been fine tuning for the past few weeks. Oil to the turbo is now from the engine using the electric pump to push back to crank case. Will be installing lighter stator and anti-detonate tank here soon.
 On this project I decided to take an engineering approach to this by doing some homework about the history, materials and look at overall rotational weight. So I'm getting rid of some of the rotating mass by replacing the Stator all together with thermal electrics and a design of my own on the stator itself much lighter. Also I'm limiting boost to 7psig for now. It takes just about 3psig (at the gauge) to make up for altitude bringing it closer to Sea Level 14.7 performance. You can read more about the build here:    http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164067
So far, at this writing, I need to paint more pieces and mostly finish electrical connections. All the fuel lines and plumbing are in. This being my personal bike, I need it to be reliable. So I'm trying to think of all the things that need to be perfect to be so. The oiling system for the turbo is on it's own independent circuit. This helping to keep out debris, primarily clutch particulates, out of the center housing bearing. I have since driven it and changing out some things on the turbo. Had to repair it due to a pump switch failier, big bummer.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude those videos would have been way better if we could hear the engine revving and the turbo spooling rather than just music. How has the SV held up over the years? Id love to see specifics on what you did as far as the carbs and other tuning or engine internal issues. I think its so great that you successfully turbocharged the SV650. Way too many people are close minded and just cant wrap their heads around modifying a bike, especially the SV650. I love mine and would consider doing this if it was safe enough. Were you able to i creasee low end and mid range torque? How did this effect the powerband? Thanks.

Tim Cordova said...

Not sure when you wrote to me but my reply: I lightened the stator that's shown in other videos, crank is safe with lin linear applied power as opposed to the snapping effect from either nitrous or harsh downshifting with substantial rider-weight. those kind of things is what's damaging the end of the crank. lightening up the stator helps eliminate some of the rotational forces from that Stater weight. as to low-end and mid-range power turbos are all about torque so it increases that range significantly a little less on the top-end although the bike is now capable with the right gearing which it has now, 140 miles an hour comfortably.